The solutions to the movement of stigma-free mental illness are possible through the small, everyday changes that one person can make in their own life. Whether you have mental illness or just know someone who does, we can all enact change by starting with ourselves. So, here are some ways that you, yes you, can help destigmatize mental illness:
- Educate yourself on the statistics regarding mental illness (both on and off college campuses) so that you’re aware of how common it is
- Avoid targeting individuals with mental illness and treating them as weak or lesser because of their mental illness
- Maintain a positive mindset regarding change because it’s contagious!
- Participate in walks that seek to bring awareness to mental illness in the hopes of eradicating the stigma that surrounds it (NAMIWalks, Out of the Darkness Walks , etc.)
- Join an already existing Active Minds chapter on your campus or start one to help bring awareness to mental illness on college campuses
- Read or listen to speakers who focus on mental illness and how to eliminate the stigma
- Follow the movement of stigma-free mental illness online (NAMI and Active Minds social media pages)